Middle Finger Tired Of Being Overused Cliche Gesture Ends It All

Middle Finger, Vancouver, BC, Canada - The middle finger (also the long finger or bird finger, and usually the longest finger) took his own life today. First responders to the scene say there was no note left behind explaining why middle finger did it. Since this may lead to speculation as to why middle finger ended it all, friends of the deceased say it was probably because middle finger was getting tired of meaning nothing other than "eff you" or "up yours."

Middle finger, being the third digit of the human hand, has always been located between the index and ring finger. Also affectionately known as "the third finger", digitus medius, digitus tertius, "digitus infamous", or digitus III in anatomy. The middle finger in the writings of Ancient Rome will forever be remembered as digitus impudicus (impudent finger), where reference is made to using the finger in ancient Greek comedy to insult another person.

By the same token, around the first century, the finger was used about the Mediterranean as a way to thwart the evil eye. Whether directed for reasons of envy or dislike, the evil eye was just as accepted as giving the finger was in turn.

Moreover, the widespread usage of the finger in many cultures is likely due to the geographical influence of the Roman Empire and Greco-Roman civilization. All over the world, extending the middle finger (either on its own or along with the index finger in the United Kingdom and Australia) has always been known as an offensive and obscene gesture.

"Flipping the bird", "flipping someone off", or simply "giving the finger" was regarded as a rewarding experience for the person displaying it. Now people may have to return to biting their thumbs as a universal sign of disrespect, such as Capulet's servant Sampson does to start a fight with Abraham (Montague's servant) in William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet".

But it is not as apt to catch on as quickly as the finger did.

The middle finger will be sorely missed. Survived by index finger, ring finger, pinky, and thumb, memorial services will not be held out of respect for the relatives of the deceased. Contributions and condolences can be sent to Krapsody.com

And on that note:


LINK




24 Comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

You've made me want to see that scene in Catch 22 again, when the camera moves from cockpit to cockpit to show the brave aviators giving the thumbs-up sign, until it reaches the final cockpit in which Yossarian is displaying his middle finger.

Julio said...

I also like the suicidal finger pic

Julio said...

Actually, in the future, the middle finger is revived as a positive gesture of kindness and prosperity. And exploding. Thank you, "Visioneers" starring Zack Galifianakis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2IdG3u9EOw

Kelly said...

Ah, poor middle finger. He/she or it will be sorely missed. In honor of the death of the middle finger, I plan on sticking my own in a sweet virgin cherry pie and licking the sauce off of it. Mmmm.

You shared some facts that I didn't know about, concerning the middle finger. For this, I give you a thumbs up. Hopefully, the thumbs up gesture will enjoy a long life. I often give my thumbs up gesture to those who accidentally fall down a flight of stairs and break their freakin' necks. They never seem to appreciate it, though.

"My Generation" being sung by the elderly? Cool. What next? "Master of Puppets" being sung by a bunch of autistic folks? I wonder how that would turn out. Could be amusing.

TT said...

Mr. Finger's suicide reminds me of a joke I read,

A blonde went to the emergency room with the tip of her left index finger blown off. “How did this happen?” the doctor asked. “Well I was trying to commit suicide,” the blonde replied. “Trying to commit suicide by shooting your finger?” “No silly! First I put the gun to my chest and I thought, ‘I just paid $6,000 for these,’ then I put it in my mouth and I thought, ‘I just paid $4,000 to get my teeth fixed.’ So then I put the gun in my ear and I thought, ‘this is going to make a loud noise,’ so I put my finger in my ear before I pulled the trigger.”

Was Mr. Finger naturally blonde?

TT said...

Mr. Finger's suicide reminds me of this joke I read,

A blonde went to the emergency room with the tip of her left index finger blown off. “How did this happen?” the doctor asked. “Well I was trying to commit suicide,” the blonde replied. “Trying to commit suicide by shooting your finger?” “No silly! First I put the gun to my chest and I thought, ‘I just paid $6,000 for these,’ then I put it in my mouth and I thought, ‘I just paid $4,000 to get my teeth fixed.’ So then I put the gun in my ear and I thought, ‘this is going to make a loud noise,’ so I put my finger in my ear before I pulled the trigger.”

Was Mr. Finger naturally blonde?

TT said...

Mr. Finger's suicide reminds me of this joke,

A blonde went to the emergency room with the tip of her left index finger blown off. “How did this happen?” the doctor asked. “Well I was trying to commit suicide,” the blonde replied. “Trying to commit suicide by shooting your finger?” “No silly! First I put the gun to my chest and I thought, ‘I just paid $6,000 for these,’ then I put it in my mouth and I thought, ‘I just paid $4,000 to get my teeth fixed.’ So then I put the gun in my ear and I thought, ‘this is going to make a loud noise,’ so I put my finger in my ear before I pulled the trigger.”

Was MR. Finger naturally blonde?

klahanie said...

Well, I've almost got to 'hand it to you with this article..
Me being a Vancouver dude: I can assure you that I have seen this gesture on a few occasions. It usually occurred whilst driving my car. It is affectionately known as the 'B.C. salute'.
Thumbs up, dude....

Skrib (aka MEaster Bunny) said...

I applaud this satire! Too cool for words!! Instead of clapping, I will consider slapping (my own face, it might wake me up)!!!

BMD said...

I don't have any fingers, what am I supposed to do? I'm ending it all, don't try to stop me.

Static said...

@ Gorilla Buttnuggets - Ah, yes. Catch 22 had such a great cast! Featuring not only Alan Arkin, but Orson Wells, Martin Sheen, Jon Voight, Anthony Perkins, Bob Newhart, Charles Grodin!! and...Art Garfunkel...?? WTF???!!!!

Static said...

@ Julio - Never heard of Visioneers...is Art Garfunkel in it? And above all, did it go straight to video..because I have a Netflix account and I wouldn't mind renting it to observe the horribly aberrant acting abilities of Art Garfunkel in action.

Static said...

@ Kelly - People never seem to appreciate the little things much, do they? That band of senior citizens also cover The Prodigy's "Firestarter". Pretty awesome for old folks.

Static said...

@ TT - Since MR. Finger was bald, we'll never know if he was naturally blonde.

Static said...

@ klahanie - I think the gesture is affectionately known and universally accepted as "up yours". Thanks for the comment. Also, thumbs are made for sitting on. Now, up yours. =P

Static said...

@ Skrib - While you are at it, would you mind getting a hold of yourself, man? Slapping yourself in the face isn't going to wake you up. You should let someone else do it. Flip off a random stranger, I'm sure they would be happy to oblige.

Static said...

@ BMD - Don't you have any toes?? No excuses, bub. Just because you don't have any fingers doesn't mean I have to feel sorry for you. =P

Jesus the hobo said...

I also applaud this article.
As well as giving it the "one-finger" or "highway salute"
stick this finger where the sun don't shine!!

NAS said...

I like the pic and the post. I never knew this middle finger thing is also used by people long time ago by insulting others.

Jenna said...

LOL

The Acorn King said...

You will be missed, middle finger. You were also a beloved member of the 'shocker' team.

Static said...

@ Jesus the hobo - You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Static said...

@ NAS - it sure is. Did ya ever know of any gesture or insult that didn't have ancient origins? Well..except for gangsta hand signs. But those don't count. Or do they? Word.

Static said...

@ The Acorn King - Now Shocker Team just looks like the sign of the horns. Those devil-worshipping metal-heads know what I mean.

Coincidentally, the sign of the horns is a hand gesture with a vulgar meaning in Mediterranean countries still to this day.

And now the "peace sign" just looks like "I'm #1" or "Look! Up there!"

Who would have thought middle finger had so many uses??

no
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...